When excessive dried skin flakes or dandruff fall from the scalp, a person experiences severe itching which, apart from causing inconvenience, becomes irritating and frustrating. Not only this, dandruff can be the cause of hair loss and baldness too. As such dandruff treatment is very essential right at its first stage so that it doesn’t become a serious dandruff disease. The symptoms of dandruff include white colored skin flakes all over shoulder, severe itching, inflammation, and red blisters on the scalp (only in cases of severe dandruff).
Home Herbal Remedies for Dandruff
If the natural dandruff treatment do not prove to be helpful, one must adopt home and herbal remedies for dandruff cure.
Home Remedies for Dandruff
• Take some fermented curd (ferment curd by keeping it aside for 2-3 days, do not freeze) and apply this curd to the scalp and hair. Keep it for about an hour and wash it off with shampoo. Curd not only is a very good dandruff treatment but is also the natural conditioner that makes hair shiny.
• Mix two tablespoons of vinegar with six tablespoons of hot water and apply it all over the scalp. If you have long hair, increase the amount accordingly. Keep it overnight after tying a cloth and wash hair with plain water the next morning. Do it twice a week for 3 months. It is an effective home dandruff treatment.
• Massage the scalp regularly with olive oil. It will not only cure dandruff but will also prevent it from occurring.
• Take one part of sandalwood oil with three parts of lemon juice and apply on scalp to get rid of dandruff.
• Apply gel of aloe vera leaves on scalp and leave it overnight. Wash it with a herbal
preferably shikakai shampoo the next morning.
• Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight and make a fine paste from it. Apply this paste on scalp and leave it for half an hour. Wash hair thoroughly with soap-nut (ritha) solution or acacia concinna (shikakai)
• Mix two tablespoons of green gram powder with half a cup of curd. Wash hair with it twice a week.
• Boil tops and roots of beet in water and massage the scalp with this water every night. Use your finger tips to gently massage hair scalp.
• Mix few drops of lime juice with Emblica Officinalis or Indian gooseberry (amla) juice and massage the scalp with it every night before going to bed.
• Boil the peel and seeds of ash gourd in coconut oil. Massage the hair scalp with this oil to prevent dandruff and dryness of the scalp.
B.Sc.(Med.), B.Ed., M.A.(Edu.), M.Litt.(Edu.), Ph.D.(Edu.Psy.), PGDCA. Served as Science Master, Employment Department as Vocational Guidance Officer. Retired from Employment Department, Punjab India as Dy. Director (Off.) and Remained In charge of Overseas Employment Cell of Punjab Govt. for 5 years.
More than 150 articles published in Punjabi News Papers like Punjabi Tribune, Daily Ajit, G-Asia, Jagbani and Chardhikala. Serving now Arihant Computer Center and Sadbhavna Medical & Geart Institure, Patiala.