Dream pillows have been around for many many years, it was common place for our grandmothers to stitch up a headache pillow to erase the pain of headaches or have a dream pillow on every bed filled with natures bountiful herbs and flowers. Complete instuctions to make them yourself!
100% Cotton or Silk Fabric 5″ x 5″ (or slightly larger if you wish)
Mesh bag for herbal insert (muslin is a perfect type of fabric for this project)
Herbs & Flowers: 1 part Rose Petals, 1 part Dried Chamomile, 1 part Dried Lavender
Essential Oils : choose any of the following – Yarrow, Sandalwood, Jasmine, Geranium, Basil, Lavender, Peppermint or Rose. 5-7 drops.
2 teaspoons Orris Root (fixative to retain scents)
Needle & Thread
1. Cut your fabric into 2 pieces, one for the top of the pillow, the other for the bottom.
2. Sew the pieces together with the wrong side of the fabric on the outsides.
3. Sew 3 sides together then turn inside out so right sides are now showing.
4. Fill a mesh bag with the mixture of the flowers, herbs, orris root, and a few drops of essential oil, tie off with a string.
5. Place inside your pillow form and fill with pillow stuffing…don’t overpack as it needs air circulation to release some of the scents.
6. Finish pillow off by adding velcro to the open end of the pillow, this will allow you access to change the herbs and flowers when needed or to wash the pillow itself.
Its best to keep the pillow in a flat shape not round. It will be inserted into a regular pillowcase for a scentsational nights sleep.
Click here for some of our Potpourri recipes
Pioneerthinking.com — Ingredients for a simple life.
Article Posted: 2002