With cold and flu season upon us, you probably think you’ve heard all the prevention tips out there, but here are a few that are less well known. Check out these 10 tips to be a healthy, happy and more knowledgeable person during this year’s cold and flu season.
1. Did you know garlic has antibacterial properties or that thyme is an age-old remedy for coughs? Add both to chicken soup for even more healing powers.
2. Cold and flu season may not be the best time to be watching your figure. Cutting calories can make it harder to recover once you are sick.
3. Hit the snooze button a few times. Getting more than seven hours of sleep each night can help fight off colds.
4. The office can be a hotspot for germs. Be mindful of doorknobs, elevator buttons, conference tables, keyboards and kitchen areas.
5. Eating green veggies, like broccoli and spinach, add helpful antioxidants to your diet and keep you immune system healthy.
6. When a fever strikes, cool down faster by putting a wet towel around your shoulders instead of on your forehead.
7. Not all liquid is hydrating – stick to water, herbal tea and fruit juice when you’re sick.
8. It’s important to distinguish between a cold or the flu – The flu bug hits suddenly bringing with it fever, headache, aches and exhaustion while a cold can appear gradually bring sinus congestion and sore throat.
9. Get prepared by using a cold and flu prediction tool like achoo by Kleenex. It can tell you when you are mostly likely to be at risk and other ways to prepare yourself. Check it out at my-achoo.com
10. Crack a smile – smiling can boost your mood and your immune system!
Congratulations! You are now 10 tips smarter about cold and flu season. Go forth and impress your friends.