Fragrance oils, not to be confused with essential oils, are manufactured oils that blend artificial or natural fragrances. These oils are generally used in make-up, home scents, perfumes and aromatherapy. Since they are made up of mostly synthetic materials, these oils should not be used on the body. Fragrance oils are also known as fragrant oils, potpourri oil, burning oils and simmering oils.
Historically, natural fragrant oils have been used for thousands of years for many things including ceremonies, freshening up living spaces and anointing. Fragrance oils today have become extremely popular and can have a variety of uses in the home, office or vehicle. Following are ten popular uses for fragrance oils.
1. If you have unscented candles or some of the less expensive candles that perhaps don’t have enough scent, sprinkle your favourite fragrance oil into the wax near the wick. As the candle burns, the oil will heat up and the fragrance will drift throughout the room.
2. Need a quick air freshener? Add a few drops of fragrance oil to a spray bottle that is full of water. Use the sprayer in any room in need of a fresh up.
3. Carpets can trap unpleasant odours and leave us with smells that are hard to get rid of in a room. One way to fight this is to add several drops of fragrant oil to a box of baking soda or cornstarch. Mix well and allow whichever you choose to dry for a day or two then sprinkle the soda or starch onto your carpet. Allow this to sit for thirty minutes to an hour, then vacuum and voilá, carpet that smells good again.
4. Fragrant oils also work well for making shoes smell a bit better. Simply sprinkle a few drops in each shoe.
5. If your potpourri has lost its scent, simply add several drops of your favourite oil and the bag or dish of potpourri is renewed. This can be repeated as many times as you like.
6. For a thoughtful gift, imbue a bookmark or a set of stationery with fragrant oil. Whoever is the recipient of this gift will be reminded of you when they use these items.
7. If you enjoy aromatic linens, place a few drops of oil on paper towels. Take the individual paper towels and place them between sheets, pillowcases or towels.
8. Use several drops of any aromatic oil on a six-inch by six-inch cloth and toss it in the dryer with your clothes for a better dryer sheet solution.
9. A cotton ball soaked with a few drops of oil can be placed in the corners of your drawers to freshen up stored clothing. These can actually be placed in any inconspicuous area or in vacuum bags, as well.
10. Use several drops of scented oil in your washing machine with each wash for fresh smelling laundry.
As you can see, fragrant oils can be used to freshen up many things. So, the next time you pick up that box of fabric softener sheets or carpet refresher, put it back and try these inexpensive solutions.
Mark Miles writes for the UK based Fragrance Oils Store the Crafty Jungle. A trusted family run online shop providing high quality scented oils and fragrance oil burners to Europe and worldwide.
Article Source: Articlesbase.com