Depression can be stated as the sad state of mind that arises from regular worries, stress, tension and anxieties from different spheres of life. Though these are the basic causes, but other causes like pregnancy, failure in examination, serious disease or some accidental events in the family may lead to depression in some persons.
Consequences of depression can not be overlooked as the depressed person loses all interest in his life that may lead to some suicidal attempts and become totally an insane or schizophrenic person.
People suffering from depression cut off all the interaction with the outside world even with the nearest ones. Lacks of appetite or high appetite, low self esteem, sleeplessness, weakness, fatigue are the symptoms that follow depression.
Herbal Remedies for Depression
Antidepressants are the most commonly prescribed drugs to treat persons suffering from depression. But these drugs are not without side effects which sometimes lead to secondary level of medication. Herbs offered by Mother Nature are very effective in treating depression as they cure the roots of depression rather than the symptoms. Side effects are also observed in herbal treatments but not that of significant value. Still it is better to consult practitioners before going for herbal treatments.
1. St John’s wort, also known as Hypericum perforatum is a well known herb to treat depression and anxiety. It is inexpensive and is easily available and also acts as good sedative lessening the sleeplessness caused by depression.
2. Basil is a common growing Asian herb with lots of medicinal properties and that also helps in stress reduction and lifts the mood.
3. Passion flower acts as a tranquilizer and calms down the nerves by reducing anxiety and insomnia. This herb acts gently and can be given the preference compared to the other herbs.
4. Gingko biloba helps in reducing the depression especially in the elders, whose blood circulation in the brain is reduced. It acts as a good anti depressant and an anti oxidant by increasing the blood flow in the brain and at the same time increasing the memory.
5. Borage leaf juice is another natural anti depressant that effectively treats depression. Being rich in Potassium it stimulates the glandular system and reduces the feeling of sadness, melancholy and pensiveness.
6. Lemon balm due to its soothing qualities is used to treat depression like mental disorders. It calms down the shattered nerves and helps in overcoming depression.
7. Rosemary, if used in sleeping pillows and baths has an excellent effect in alleviating depression as it rejuvenates and infuses a feel good factor in the depressive person.
Apart from minimum side effects the herbal treatments are also very cost effective. Some herbal treatments may demand much more time but weighing the pros and cons the patience pays off at the end.
Read information about Holy Basil Benefits in stress reduction and lifting mood. Also find about Ashwagandha Benefits to reduce stress and anxiety. Know about Aloe Vera Benefits, Cream Supplement.