The very best thing about having birthday cake is the ice cream that goes along with it. This delicious homemade ice cream recipe can be made with a few simple ingredients and a couple of coffee cans.
Learn how to make your own yummy blend! It’s so easy to make and fun to eat! A great hands-on kids party activity!
There’s always room for ice cream. (That’s my motto!)
Home Made Ice Cream
YIELD: 2 cups ice cream
- 1 lb. Coffee Can
- 3 lb. Coffee Can
- 1/2 cup Rock salt
- 1 pint Half and Half
- 1 1/2 tsps. Vanilla
- 1/3 cup + 2 tblsps. Sugar
For flavored ice cream, choose one:
- 3 tblsps. of your favorite flavor of instant pudding
- 1/3 cup of fruit (such as, bananas, strawberries, peaches)
- 3 of your favorite cookies (crushed into pea-size pieces)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- Mix the first three basic ingredients together and pour into the one pound coffee can. Add flavorings if desired. Place the lid on securely and set inside the three pound can.
- Add ice, and alternate layers of ice and salt outside the small can and inside the large can. When totally full, secure the lid on the large can. You may wish to add duct tape for good measure.
- Now here comes the fun part! Place a sheet on the floor or wrap the can in a large towel. Let party guests roll the can back and forth for at least 10 minutes. Open the cans and check the ice cream.
- If it is not starting to freeze, replace lids and roll 10 minutes more. The ice cream should be frozen to the sides and bottom of the can. If not thick enough, place in freezer and check every 10 minutes or so.
Note: This recipe can be effected by temperature, humidity, and other environmental factors, so make a trial run before attempting in a group setting.
Copyright 2005 Kids Party Paradise All Rights Reserved
Patricia B. Jensen is a mother of three and kids party enthusiast. She is the webmaster and owner of Kids-Party-Paradise.com [http://www.kids-party-paradise.com] – a complete resource for kids party ideas including invitations, cakes, decorations, games, costumes, favors, and food. For all the latest party news, read her Kids Party Blog