How to cook a sweet potato: Sweet potato pie with pecan topping.
- 1 ½ lbs sweet potato peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- 2 large eggs.
- 1/3 cup plus another ½ cup of packed brown sugar.
- 3 tablespoon of maple syrup.
- ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- ½ teaspoon of groundnut cinnamon.
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream.
- 1 pre-baked pie crust.
- 3 tablespoon butter.
- 1 cup of pecans, half of them lightly chopped the other half whole.
- Make the pie crust. If you use a store bought frozen crust, you do not need to pre-bake it, just defrost it 10 minutes and prick the
bottom all over with a fork before using.
- Make the sweet potato puree. In a large saucepan, cover the sweet potato pieces with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15
minutes or until the sweet potato pieces are soft when poked with a knife or fork. Drain. Puree in a food processor until smooth. You may need to add back a little liquid to get a smooth consistency. Let cool completely before using.
- Prepare the pie. Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit. Place rack at the bottom of the oven. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1/3 cup brown sugar and maple syrup until smooth. Add the sweet potato puree, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ¾ cup of cream. Mix until completely smooth. Pour into cooled crust.
- Bake the pie. Bake on the lowest rack for 50 minutes, until filling has set. You may want to tent the edges of the pie with aluminum foil or a pie crush protector to prevent the pie crust edges from burning. Cool on the rack for one hour. Then transfer to the refrigerator and chill completely.
- Make the pecan topping. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add ½ cup of brown sugar and cook, stirring, until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of cream, and mix in. Add the pecans, mix to coat the pecans with the sugar mixture. Let cool for 1 minute. Poor mixture over cooled pie. Use a rubber spatula to spread the topping over the top of the pie. Cool until the topping has hardened, about 30 minutes. Serves 8 people.
There are a few different steps which can also be used in the preparation of sweet potatoes. People should experiment and try out
different combinations according to their tastes and preferences. Sweet potato is often considered to be a delicacy in some parts of the world and there are a plethora of preparations when it comes to how to cook a sweet potato.
Although it is considered to be a boring vegetable, there are variety of ways to learn how to cook a sweet potato. Many online recipes will teach you how to cook a sweet potato.
Photo Credit: Pioneerthinking.com
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com
Article Posted: June 13, 2012