Hyperthyroidism is the condition of the body that results due to the over activity of the thyroid gland. Hyper activity of the thyroid produces excess of thyroid hormones that affects the tissues of the body in many ways. This over production of the thyroid hormones leads in an increased metabolism of the body, just the opposite condition of the Hypothyroidism and is termed as Grave’s Disease. People suffering from hyperthyroidism have an increased feeling of hotness and starts losing weight abruptly.
Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism includes intolerance towards heat, nervousness, palpitation of the heart, abrupt loss in weight, sleep disturbances or insomnia, irregular menstruation with occasional gaps, staring gaze, loss of hair, frequent bowel movements and weakness in muscles.
The General Causes of Hyperthyroidism Are:
1. Enlargement of the thyroid gland producing high levels of thyroid hormone, a condition called Grave’s disease.
2. Excessive intake of thyroid hormone for treating hypothyroidism.
3. Inflammation of the thyroid gland or Thyroiditis can also lead to the overproduction of thyroid hormones.
4. A single nodule of the thyroid gland can also produce excess amount of thyroid hormones leading to hyperthyroidism.
Herbal remedies are quite effective in treating the condition like Hyperthyroidism, but not without consulting the medical experts. Self medication may worsen the condition.
1. The herb Bugleweed or Lycopus europea is a well known herbal remedy of Hyperthyroidism, especially in the early stage of the disease. Tincture of this herb in measured doses can give the best result.
2. Lemon balm is another popular herb that is known to reduce the levels of thyroid hormones. Studies showed that it blocks the activity of thyroid stimulating antibodies in Grave’s disease. The extract of the herb can be taken. Making a tea of lemon balm and bugleweed and taking several times a day gives good results.
3. Motherwort herb has been used since ancient times to treat palpitations of the heart and depression. Recent studies have revealed that it is also beneficial in treating a hyperactive thyroid gland.
4. The herb Prunella vulgaris or self heal is known to suppress production of thyroid hormones. Taking one fourth pound in a single serving gives good results.
5. Dandelion root is known to regulate liver functions which in turn controls the over activity of the thyroid gland.
6. Quercetin helps in reducing inflammation. Taking 250-500 milligrams of it regularly produces good effects.
In addition to the above mentioned herbs sea greens are rich in minerals and vitamins. Other green vegetables belonging to cruciferous vegetation like broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and kale have the properties that help in reducing the over activity of the thyroid glands and can be used as the best herbal treatment for Hyperthyroidism.