Potatoes are not only an excellent source of nutrition and easy addition to any meal; they are also known to be a centerpiece in certain folk remedies and skin treatments.
Next time you’re enjoying your “home spa,” incorporate potatoes into a compress to help alleviate dark or puffy circles under your eyes. Or, use potatoes to help absorb excess oil in your face.
Compress: Cut or grate a potato and put the potato in gauze. Leave the compress on for 30 minutes while lying down.
Mask: Apply a grated raw potato as a mask by rubbing the potato on your skin. Leave the mask on for 30 minutes and then rinse off with water and vinegar.
Cleanser: In a blender, combine 1/4 cup chopped cucumber (do not peel) and 1/8 cup chopped potato (do not peel) at medium speed for 20 seconds. Add 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 whole egg and 1/4 cup plain yogurt; blend on low for one minute. Moisten face with warm water and apply cleanser with a washcloth in circular motions. Rinse clean with warm water.
Potatoes have been used for centuries in various folk remedies as well. Try using potatoes to:
– Treat facial blemishes by washing your face daily with cool potato juice.
– Treat frostbite or sunburn by applying raw grated potato or potato juice to the affected area.
– Help a toothache by carrying a potato in your pocket.
– Ease a sore throat by putting a slice of baked potato in a stocking and tying it around your throat.
– Ease aches and pains by rubbing the affected area with the water potatoes have been boiled in.
Photo. Max Straeten