Lighten Your Hair the Safe Way Using Natural Products and Ingredients From Your Pantry
Developed using a nasty concoction of abrasive chemicals, it isn’t surprising that some consumers have developed serious allergic reactions to the commercially made hair dyes that are on the market. For many women the toxicity of the colorant is a risk they are willing to take.
The good news is that you can still have beautiful tinted hair without the use of toxic chemicals. By selecting natural products from your own home, you can use your pantry ingredients to unlock the secret to gorgeous hair, the natural way.
What you will need:
• 8 Tablespoons of (cold) Chamomile Tea (Soak two Chamomile Tea Bags in 1 cup of hot water)
• 4 Tablespoons of Honey
• 2 Tablespoon of Ground Cinnamon
• 1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Glass Bowl or Jar
• Plastic Shower Cap
Processing Time Required: The longer you leave the mixture in your hair the more vibrant the result. In general, 4 hours is satisfactory, however, 6 – 8 hours will give a more noticeable effect. Therefore, this process is best conducted before bed and left to process in the hair overnight.
1. Combine the honey, tea, cinnamon and olive oil in a glass bowl and mix well. A metal bowl will interfere with the activation of the ingredients.
2. Cover mixture and allow it to sit for 15 minutes to allow the ingredients to activate.
3. Shampoo your hair. If there is product in your hair the lightening process won’t be effective.
4. Apply the Mixture to clean, damp hair. When fully applied, comb through the hair to assist in a more even application.
5. Place a plastic shower cap over your hair to lock in moisture and keep the heat in. This will help keep your hair damp and warm during the lightening process.
6. Sleep with the Mixture in your hair. The longer you can keep the mixture in the better the lightening effect. Some people may initially feel a slight tingling sensation from the cinnamon, which is normal.
7. After 8 hours, thoroughly rinse out the mixture from the hair and shampoo.
8. Style and blow dry as usual.
This recipe can lighten your hair by up to 2 shades with each use. You can continue this procedure every week until you achieve the desired level of highlights. For added lightening benefits, rinse your hair daily with 2 cups of cold chamomile tea (leave on the hair for 15 minutes) and then rinse out.
Yes this technique actually works. Banish harsh chemicals and unnecessary synthetics and save your locks, by switching to natural hair care products. In addition to being non-toxic and low allergenic, using items from your kitchen pantry makes sense for those on a tight budget. Go natural – your hair and skin will thank you.
Note: For any new treatment, it is recommended that you always conduct a patch test by applying the treatment to a small patch of skin on your wrist to test for rashes or other allergic reactions.
Adriana Woolf is the Founder and CEO of Bare Blossom.
Does this work if you have brown hair? Will it turn it orange or anything like that?