Not all kids are created equal, and neither are all snacks.
“We know parents have a lot on their mind as kids head back to school and snack packing shouldn’t be one of them,” said Frank Spadafina, Food Product Development Manager at Walmart Canada. “This quick and easy nut-free recipe is completely school yard safe and a healthy snack parents can feel good about.”
Crunchy Trail Mix is one of several recipes created by Walmart, where all the ingredients can be found. It is easy to make, very versatile, and will serve you for an entire week. Pack it in a Great Value Zipper Bag for an easy on-the-go snack, or enjoy it as a breakfast cereal.
Crunchy Trail Mix
Preparation time: 15 minutes Total time: 40 minutes Makes: 10 cups
- ½ cup 125 ml Great Value Liquid Honey
- ¼ cup 60 ml Our Finest Original Non-Hydrogenated Margarine
- ½ tsp 2 ml salt
- 4 cups 1 l Great Value Crisp Rice Cereal
- 1 cup 250 ml pumpkin seeds
- 1 ½ cups 375 ml sunflower seeds
- ½ cup 125 ml sweetened flaked coconut
- ½ cup 125 ml banana chips
- ½ cup 125 ml Great Value Dried Apricots, quartered
- 1 ½ cups 375 ml raisins
- ½ cup 125 ml dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Melt honey with margarine and salt in a small pot over medium heat. In a medium bowl, mix cereal with pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Toss cereal mixture with melted honey mixture until evenly coated.
- Transfer cereal-seed mixture onto parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let it cool. Break into clusters and toss with coconut and dried fruit.
Originally appeared in Walmart Live Better magazine. For more family food ideas, visit WalmartLiveBetter.ca/recipes. Additional back-to-school snack recipes can be found at www.walmart.ca/recipes.
Article Source: (NC) www.newscanada.com