A warming and wholesome meat pie recipe that has a glaze which really finishes it off to perfection.
Mama’s Meat Pies
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoon (1 stick) butter, no substitutes
- 1-1/2 cup of flour
- dash of salt
Place cream cheese and butter in bowl and soften. Add flour and salt, and cut in with pastry blender or fork until well blended. Form into ball, wrap in wax paper and chill 1 hour.
Or~combine all ingredients in food processor and blend until ball forms by using on off switch. Wrap in wax paper and chill 1 hour.
- 1 pound beef, cut into 1/2-inch cubes. (Precooked pot roast or raw sirloin or pork lion cubes sauteed lightly in butter.)
- 4 strips slab bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup water
- 1 large carrot, chopped in large chunks (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon. dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried savory
- 3 tablespoons. currants
- 2 tablespoons. fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 C. fresh or frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup beef stock
In large saute’ pan, cook bacon until golden brown; remove to large bowl, add beef and set aside. Pour off most of bacon fat, reserving 1 T. in pan. Saute’ onion and garlic in reserved fat about 3 minutes until wilted and add to cook bacon in large bowl.
Toss mushrooms with lemon juice. Melt butter in hot saute’ pan and add mushrooms and mustard. Stir and cook about 3-4 minutes until most of the moisture has evaporated and add to cooked bacon mixture in large bowl.
Add water to pan and bring to boil; add carrots, boil 2 minutes, drain and add to bacon mixture in large bowl.
Mix all ingredients well in large bowl and add thyme, savory, currants, parsley, tomato paste and vinegar.
Mix well again and toss in peas, salt, pepper and flour. Add broth to ingredients in large bowl and combine well. Set aside to cool.
Divide pastry dough in half, roll out to about 1/8-inch thick. With a 6-inch inverted bowl, trace circles with a knife. Place about 3 T. filling in center of each circle, pull ends up, fold over edge, and pinch ends until secure. Repeat with rest of pastry.
- 1 whole egg or 1 egg yolk
- 2 T. cream
In a small bowl mix egg yolk and cream, brush on each pie and bake in preheated 375* oven about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to rack to cool.
My love of barbecue extends back to my childhood, and as such I hope you enjoy my selection of recipes. If you would like to find more great tasting barbecue recipes, then head over to Barbecue Party, where you will not only find a great selection of BBQ recipes, but also an invaluable guide on BBQ grills as well as a great guide on gas barbecue smokers. http://www.barbecue-party.com/barbecue-grills.htm
Article Source: Articlesbase.com