Quick Weeknight Teriyaki for a Delicious and Nutritious Dinner
Few meals beat a stir fry for speedy cooking and mouth-watering taste. This family-friendly dish combines a sweet teriyaki chicken with fresh bok choy, and hearty portabella mushrooms for an added nutritional punch. Serve alongside rice.
Mushroom Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 tsp (1 ml) each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 lb (225g) boneless, skinless, chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large portobella mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups (500 ml) baby bok choy, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) honey
- 2 tsp (10 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground ginger
- 2 tsp (10 ml) garlic powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh chives
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper and garlic powder. Season chicken with half of the seasoning mixture. In a medium sized bowl, toss together mushrooms, bok choy and the rest of the seasoning mixture. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 4 minutes, stirring often. Stir in mushrooms and bok choy and cook for 1 minute.
- In a small saucepan whisk together soy sauce, water, honey, rice vinegar, ground ginger, garlic powder, cornstarch.. Bring sauce to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 1 minute or until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add teriyaki sauce to chicken and vegetable mixture and remove from heat.
- Serve over rice and garnish with fresh chives and sesame seeds.
Find more information at mushrooms.ca/recipes.