Dark circles under eyes are a common beauty problem. These under eye dark circles give us an appearance of tiredness or illness. They make us to feel worse and are rather detrimental to our self esteem.
What are dark circles under eyes?
The skin below our eyes is very thin and is sparsely dotted with oil glands unlike the skin on rest of the body. Due to various reasons the skin under the eyes becomes thin and dry. Veins below eyes appear prominently when the under eye skin becomes dry and thin. This lends the area a dark appearance.
What causes dark circles under eyes?
There are various reasons which cause dark circles. Few of them have been listed below.
If others in your family have dark circles then there are fair chances of you getting dark circles under eyes. The thinness of under eye skin is a hereditary character. The thin under eye skin reveals dark veins underneath and appears as dark circles under eyes.
If you are more prone to allergies like itching of skin which is inherited then dark circles under eyes may be caused due to rubbing and inflammation of under eye skin.
Lack of Sleep and Fatigue:
Partying all night, lack of sleep, fatigue, sinus infections, pregnancy all these may cause paleness of skin. Pale skin makes blood vessels to appear prominently and give an appearance of dark circles.
Structure of Bone
Eyes set deep in skull bones may develop ark shadow under them.
Exposure to Sunlight
Exposure to sun light increases the level of pigmentation and cause tanning. Same thing applies well for the skin under eyes. When skin under eyes gets exposed to sun it tans and appears dark.
Medications which cause dilation of blood vessels cause dark circles under eyes. Dilated blood vessels allow more blood to flow through them and these blood vessels look prominent through under eye skin which is very thin.
Poor nutrition leads to paleness of skin under eyes. Lack of essential nutrients in diet or poor diet causes discoloration of under eye skin.
Hormonal Imbalance during pregnancy, menstruation, menopause etc cause paleness of skin and this leads to appearance of dark circles under eyes.
As we grow old the skin under eyes become more dry and wrinkled. The wrinkled skin below eyes appears as dark circles around eyes.
Tips for Dark eye Circles
How to get rid of dark circle under eyes is the question that arises in your mind when you are suffering from under eye dark circles. Here are solutions for under eye dark circles
1. Concealing the dark circles around eyes through make up techniques.
2. Avoiding use of bleach or peels to make the dark circles around eyes light.
3. Treat the cause of illness mentioned above.
4. Sleep for sufficiently long hours to prevent formation of dark circles under eyes.
5. Do not scratch the under eye skin.
6. Diet, which is rich in nutrients helps to remove dark circles around eyes.
7. Lightly tap the under eye skin with one or two fingers to
8. Increase the blood circulation.
Ayurveda treatment for dark circles under eyes
Accumulation of toxins in body cause dark circles.The ayurveda treatment for dark circle consists of two steps.
1. Body detoxification.
2. Skin rejuvenation .
Top Ten Home remedies for Dark circles under eye
1.Grate cucumber and squeeze fresh juice out of gratings. Dip two cotton balls in it and keep these cotton balls on eyes. This relaxes eyes and relieves tiredness of eyes. Considered as the best remedy for under eye dark circles.
2 .The above process has been found to be effective when done using potato.
3. Apply a paste of lemon juice, tomato puree, orange lentil flour (masoor dal ) and turmeric powder (if you are not allergic to it) on under eye dark circles. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash it off.
4. Drink plenty of water (more than 15 glasses)
5. Eat fresh fruits, green vegetables which are rich in fiber.
6. Sleep well at least for 7-8 hrs daily.
7. Reduce stress levels by practicing yoga and meditation. Pranayama reduces dark circles and increases glow of skin.
8. Avoid sweets and chocolates.
9 .Dip two cotton balls in rose water and place them on your eyes, covering dark circles.
10. Keep thin cold cucumber slices on eyes when your eyes are too tired.
Dr. Savitha Suri has been an Ayurvedic Practitioner since 1989 and manages the website http://www.ayurhelp.com . Her articles about ayurveda have been published in news papers and websites. She is a regular health columnist to an international magzine “Joyful Living” . Read more about acne remedy on http://www.ayurhelp.com/dark_circles.htm
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com