Plain cheesecake comes to many minds the very pure cheese cake that has no impressive and colorful decoration such as fruit cakes, Funky cakes, and so on. It is just as plain as its name. However, it is the irresistible taste that attracts millions. Today, I am going to introduce a very famous cake – beloved by many people, honored on many restaurant menus – New York Style Cheesecake!
New York Style Cheesecake
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pound cream cheese
- 1 egg yolks
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
To begin with, break graham crackers into small pieces, then grind them for about 30 seconds. Mix sugar, butter, and salt in a pan. Beat well until smooth.
Next, use a 9-inch spring form pan for the best shape. Grease it first with half of a teaspoon butter to avoid sticking and being burned. Then place all the mixture in the pan. Now it is the right time to bake at 330 degree Fahrenheit. Bake until golden brown. The crust now is ready.
Whip cream cheese in a mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, sugar and continue whipping. Pour the mixture to the crust. Bake at 450 degree F for 10 minutes. Then, lower to 200 degree F. Remember to check the doneness with a thermometer. It is well done when the center reaches at 150 degree F. Turn off the oven and leave it open for 45 minutes.
It is recommended to chill for one hour before serve.
Secret of Simple Cheesecake Recipes
Here are some handy tips for simple cheesecake recipes:
– If you are watching your weight, you can use fat free cream for cheesecake. However it is not a good idea because this cream can make the cake’s texture crumbly. So high fat cream is recommended.
– The ingredients must be at room temperature so that they can be well mixed.
– Use a spring form pan.
– Preheat oven to 375 F, start baking at 400 F for the first quarter an hour, then decrease to 250 F.
– Remember to bake the cheesecake on the center rack of the oven. On the lower rack, place another pan which is filled with water. The water plays an important role in preventing the cake from cracking.
– Another tips to prevent cracking is to add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Low heat also avoids cracking and bubbling.
– As soon as you finish baking, open the oven door for 30 minutes.
– Here comes a difficult as well as deft task. Use a spatula to loosen the cake from the edge of the pan. Make it as carefully as possible otherwise you will damage your cake.
– If your cheesecake does crack, don’t be confused! Let’s hide its flaw by topping with caramel sauce, chocolate or other fruits such as raspberry, passion fruit.
Mike Joshua is an famous cooker in France. Mike likes to share his recipes secrets with others.
Photos. Aline Ponce