The word rheumatism is derived from the Greek word ‘rheuma’, which means a swelling. It refers to an acute or chronic illness which is characterized by pain and swelling of the muscles, ligaments and tendons, or the joints.
Rheumatism is not a single disease. It pertains to a whole range of conditions, all of which cause pain. These conditions affect the joints, the muscles and the ligaments. Rheumatism is more common among the middle aged and elderly people. The exact cause of most forms of rheumatism is not known. Exposure to wet and cold may aggravate the pain.
Causes of Rheumatism and Arthritis
2. Genetic factors
3. Hormonal imbalance
5. Hormonal Disorder
Prevention from Rheumatism and Arthritis
Following are some of the simple tips for rheumatism:
1. Avoid sour foods including curds and cheese.
2. Do not eat fruits that are cold such as bananas and guavas.
3. Patient suffering from rheumatism should take balanced diet.
4. Include green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, whole wheat grains, salads, cereals, etc in your diet.
5. Restrict your intake of junk foods, oily and spicy food.
Home Remedies to Avoid Rheumatism and Arthritis
Following are some of the effective home remedies for rheumatism:
1. Massage with bishop’s weed (ajwain) oil seeds directly on the painful joints. This will help in getting relief from the pain.
2. Cod liver oil is used in making bones strong and healthy. Give 2-3 teaspoon of cod liver oil along with a glass of orange juice to the patient suffering from rheumatism. This should be taken at night before sleeping.
3. Apple extract vinegar is also beneficial in curing rheumatism. Take equal amount (2-3 teaspoon) of vinegar and honey and mix in a glass of lukewarm water. Take this mixture 1-2 times a day at least for a month.
4. Prepare a powder by mixing dry ginger, black pepper and rock salt in the juice of a fresh ginger stem. Take three grams of this powder with honey.
5. Tomato juice is very beneficial in rheumatic pains that arise in the joints of the hands and legs. Tomatoes can be taken either in the form of a juice or raw. Patient must take about four to five tomatoes must be eaten in a day.
6. Garlic is also used as a home remedy for rheumatism. Prepare a paste of garlic and apply directly on the affected parts. This will help in reducing joint pain.
7. Application of mustard seed paste on the affected part is also very effective to get relief from joint pain.
8. Walnut also makes bone and muscles strong and healthy. It is very useful home remedy for the patient suffering from rheumatism.
9. Raw potato juice is also useful natural remedy for rheumatism. Patient must be given 2-3 teaspoon of potato extract 2-3 times a day for at least for a month.
10. Bitter gourd is good for treating rheumatism. Take half glass of bitter gourd extract and add 1-2 teaspoon of honey into it. Give this mixture to the patient 1-2 times a day for fast relief from joint pains.
11. Give a glass of fresh carrot juice mixing 1-2 tablespoon of lemon extract to the patient suffering from rheumatism. Take 2-3 times a day.
Herbal Remedies for Rheumatism and Arthritis
Following are some of the effective herbal remedies for rheumatism:
1. Patient with rheumatic problems are advised to take tea made from the alfalfa leaves. This tea can be safely taken even up to six times a day. It helps to dissolve the food residues left in the body.
2. For patient suffering with rheumatism, a daily consumption of the Indian gooseberry, or the amalaki, is very helpful in speedy recovery from rheumatism. It is generally given in powder form, in a dosage of one teaspoon mixed with two teaspoons of jaggery.
3. The winter cherry (ashwagandha) is also useful in the treatment of rheumatism. Its roots are taken for this purpose.
4. Indian aloe also used for the treatment of rheumatism. The pulp of one leaf of the aloe taken once a day is enough to bring about good results.