Easy healthy hack for beloved Salisbury steak
The scrumptious, seasoned patties of Salisbury steak are an old favourite for many, but they don’t always make it onto a list of healthiest meals. This lightened up version swaps out half the meat with diced mushrooms for a healthy, hearty and delicious twist. Try it over mashed potatoes, egg noodles or eat it as a mouth-watering, hot sandwich.
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 21 minutes
- Salisbury steaks
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 lb (8 oz) diced crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb (225g) extra lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salted butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced onion
- 1 cup (250 ml) sliced button mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups (175 ml) beef broth
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) frozen peas
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cold water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sliced green onions
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion for 1 minute. Mix in mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Take off heat and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix together beef, mushroom mixture, breadcrumbs, beaten egg and Italian seasoning until well combined. Form the meat mixture into four equal sized patties. Cook in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Take skillet off heat and set patties aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until vegetables have softened. Whisk in the beef broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in peas and cook for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch with cold water. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the broth and continue until smooth. Cook for 1 minute or until sauce has just thickened. Add the meat back to the pan and spoon the gravy over the top. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
Find more information at mushrooms.ca/recipes.