Enjoy your Independence Day barbecue this year by doing all the cooking ahead of time. This sweet and spicy twist on traditional pulled pork sandwiches takes just 15 minutes to prep before simmering deliciously in the slow cooker. Our homemade barbecue sauce features fresh peaches and a kick of Jalapeno peppers. Whip up a simple pasta salad and put out some veggie trays for a beautiful spread without the day-of stress.
Pulled Pork Ingredients:
- 2.5 lbs boneless pork loin roast (center cut, trimmed of all fat)
- 1 yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Hickory liquid smoke
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup homemade spicy peach BBQ sauce
- 8 whole wheat buns
- Place the sliced onion in the slow cooker and top with pork.
- Season pork with salt, vinegar, garlic and liquid smoke.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- Remove pork and transfer onto a large dish; reserve the liquid into a cup and set aside.
- Shred the pork with two forks and put it back into the slow cooker along with about 3/4 cup of the reserved liquid and 1 cup of the BBQ sauce.
- Cook on high one more hour.
- Serve on whole wheat buns.
- Makes 8 servings.
Jalapeño Peach BBQ Sauce
Makes about 2 cups or 16 servings. Per serving (4 oz pork on a bun with 2 Tbsp. BBQ sauce): 310 calories, 5 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 g carbohydrate, 35 g protein, 3 g fiber, 310 mg sodium.
- 1 lb fresh peaches (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh jalapeño (minced)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cut an X in bottom of each peach, and blanch in a medium saucepan of boiling water 10 seconds. Transfer peaches to a bowl of ice and cold water and cool. Peel peaches and coarsely chop.
- Sauté onion, jalapeño, and a pinch of salt in oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add peaches and remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until peaches are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then puree all ingredients in a blender or food processor to desired consistency.
Read Sonja’s blog for more about this recipe.