Trail mix is a year-round favourite that can be a great source of protein and heart-healthy fats. “Whip up a batch of these bite-size fruit and nut treats to keep in your fridge for a quick and satisfying car snack before the kids’ soccer game,” says Samara Foisy, registered dietitian for President’s Choice. “It’s easy to go over our recommended daily value of sodium, so I’ve chosen a trail mix with no salt added.”
Toasted Coconut Trail Mix Bites
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates pitted
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup President's Choice Blue Menu trail mix
- 2 tbsp ancient grains and super seeds blend
- 1/2 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1/4 cup dried apricots roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut toasted
Pulse dates, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla and salt in food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down bowl if necessary.
Add trail mix and seeds blend; pulse until coarsely chopped. Add cereal, apricots and chocolate chips; pulse until combined.
Transfer to large bowl; mix with moistened hands if necessary to combine. Roll by heaping one tablespoon into balls, then roll in coconut to coat. Arrange in single layer on large plate or baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
Chef's Tip: Toast coconut in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often until golden; about, 5 to 7 minutes.
Source: (NC) www.newscanada.com