Detoxification Using Sodium Bentonite Clay
The World Health Organization (WHO) has acknowledged environmental pollution as the underlying cause in nearly 80% of all chronic degenerative diseases. Exposure to these toxins leads to a toxic buildup in our bodies and can cause many neurological and degenerative conditions, as well as unexplained fatigue, irritability, mood swings, muscle twitches, insomnia, painful joints, feeling down or bloated.
We take a look at how sodium bentonite clay can be used to detoxify the body of environmental toxins including heavy metals.
What is It?
· Sodium bentonite is a chemical compound comprised of clay minerals in the smectite group, and varying levels of hydrous silicate of alumina.
· It has a wide variety of agricultural, industrial cosmetic and well being uses.
Why is it so special for well being and detox?
· When mixed with water the sodium bentonite clay swells up to 16 times its size.
· This suspension is called a colloid with the water as the continuous phase and bentonite the dispersed phase.
· The bentonite clay has a negative charge and this negative charge is compensated for by adsorbing a cation on either the interior or exterior of the molecule (a cation is a positively charged ion such as many of the environmental toxins in the body including heavy metal ions)
· These compensating cations, which are adsorbed on the particle surfaces, may be exchanged for other cations. Hence they are called exchangeable cations of the clay.
· The amount per unit weight of the clay is the Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) measured in millequivalents (Meq) per 100 grams of dry clay. The higher the CEC of the clay the stronger the negative charge.
· Therefore the best clay to use for detox (removing unwanted toxins that are positively charged) is a clay that expands thereby increasing the surface area and has a high negative charge (high CEC rating) to pull out and bind with the positively charged ions from the body.
· In a recent study conducted by a leading American Colloid company found a Sodium Bentonite clay that had the highest Cation Exchange Capacity (toxin pulling power) than any of the current market competitors.
· In addition to that it is pharmaceutical grade so it contains no microbes/bacteria/biological contaminants making it safe to ingest.
· It is also easy to use – it disperses in water easily and can be flushed straight down the drain without any fuss.
How Can This Clay Be Used?
· Bathing: detox clay baths (using good pharmaceutical grade bentonite clay) can be mixed to varying strengths and is safe to use for children, adults and the elderly.
· It is the process of the hot bath that provides the perfect condition to detox. The water / clay creates a colloid where the clay has dispersed evenly, increased it surface area and generated a negative charge. The hot water causes the pores in the skin to open up thereby allowing the clay to pull out the positively charges toxins from the body.
· There is a wealth of testimonial evidence available to show successful results with suffers of Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Fibromyalgia, Motor Neuron Disease (MND) and general well being.
· If the user is too weak for a full detox bath the bentonite clay can be used as a foot bath to introduce the body slowly to a healthy detox regime.
What Happens Next?
· The clay bath should be accompanied with an electrolyte drink to replenish fluids and essential minerals that can be lost during the bath.
· The bath is usually accompanied by a feeling of intense relaxation and even exhaustion so they are best taken in the evening before bed.
· Where individuals have a high level of toxins the immediate after effect can be one of hyper activity.
· The next couple of days usually sees the body calm down and the bather finds themselves feeling better, stronger and with higher energy levels.
· The bentonite detox baths should be accompanied by a switch to a healthy diet, exercise and where possible the avoidance of repeated exposure to toxins.
Gareth Meyer – Check out www.detoxpeople.eu for bentonite clay powder and other chelation products (available in the UK and Europe only)