Eggs are all about good health and that is something you probably already knew. Eggs are almost always a part of a person's daily intake of nutrition and this is mostly so because eggs by themselves are high on nutrition. The best part about these white spheres of health is that they can be eaten at any time of the day. They can be consumed in the morning, they can be consumed in the afternoon and they can even be consumed in evening. It doesn't really matter what time of day you consume an egg, what really matters is that you are consuming your eggs on a regular basis. However, eggs in spite of being as healthy as they are, come with a setback and that setback involves their shelf life.
To get the best out of your egg it is important to know how long the same can last. It, after all, won't make for good sense to eat a rotten egg and expect to get all healthy!
How Long Can An Egg Last For
*Depending on how an egg is stored, it can last for a varying number of days. If you store raw or uncooked eggs in your fridge, they will last for a minimum period of five weeks. This is as good as a fact. However, to ensure that the eggs stored in your fridge last for as long as this, you will have to store them a certain way.
* Most people think that it is okay to store raw eggs at the door of the fridge. This, however, is not too advisable. If you are looking to make sure your eggs last for a minimum period of five weeks, you will have to place them either on the lower or on the middle shelf of your fridge. This is what matters most. You will also have to take care to see that your eggs are not stored too close to meat. Storing eggs close to raw meat will only increase the chances of them getting spoilt sooner than they should.
* Don't make the mistake of throwing away the cartons that eggs come in. Storing your eggs in the carton they come in almost always can guarantee that your eggs will last for as long as they are supposed to last.
* Ever boiled more eggs than you thought you could eat? If yes, you may have wondered if it's safe to store them in the fridge and if they will last for as long as they should. Well, as long as storing hard boiled eggs in the fridge go, it's absolutely fine to do the same. As long as how long a hard boiled egg can last in the fridge goes, it shouldn't surprise you that a hard boiled egg can last for as long as up to a week.
* The best way to find out if a hard boiled egg is safe to consume is by looking at the shell of the egg. If the shell of the egg looks as white as salt, it is safe to consume that particular egg. However, if the shell of the egg has discolored or looks dry, you can take it for granted that the egg is spoilt.
* It is a widely known fact that hard boiled eggs are more prone to getting spoilt than eggs that aren't boiled. Why is this the case? This is the case because when you boil an egg, it loses its cuticle. The cuticle is a protective waxy layer that is found around the egg. It is the damage caused to the cuticle of the egg that makes it easy for bacteria to enter the egg, thus resulting in a spoilt egg.
* When you buy a carton of eggs from a store, you are most likely to see two dates on the packaging. The date you see first is what is called the ‘Julian Date' and the date you see next is the ‘expiry date'. The ‘Julian Date' helps throw light on the day on which the eggs were packed into the carton. The other date is the expiry date. The expiry date for an egg in most cases arrives a month after the Julian date. To ensure that your eggs last for long, don't buy them on a day which after comes after the expiry date. Although the eggs may be safe to consume after the expiry date is done with, it is not safe to go ahead and buy them.
Photo Credit: antpkr | Freedigitalphotos.net
Article Source: Articlesbase.com
Article Posted: September 1, 2013