Still think a grilled cheese sandwich is processed cheese between two slices of white bread? It’s time to find out what you’ve been missing. Mouth-watering bacon, savory onions, sweet fruits, artisan bread all deliciously layered with flavored Cheddars and Monterey Jacks; these are today’s grilled cheese sandwiches. If that gets your stomach grumbling, try out these delicious recipes and see if they don’t inspire your creativity to create a unique grilled cheese of your own.
Double Delicious Grilled Cheese
Create a sandwich to satisfy any adult’s taste buds with this recipe. Replace the traditional white bread with your choice of thickly sliced artisan bread and upgrade your cheese selection with any of Great Midwest’s flavored Cheddars or Monterey Jacks. Add some spice to your sandwich by selecting Mango Fire Cheddar or infuse it with the savory taste of Morel & Leek Jack. If fruit is more your thing, try Blueberry Cobbler or Cranberry Cheddar. This recipe allows you to build four sandwiches so try them all.
- 3-4 tbsp Butter (melted)
- 8 slices Artisan bread (thickly sliced)
- 7-8 ounces Great Midwest Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (sliced)
- Using a pastry brush, butter each slice of bread on one side and place four slices, buttered side down, on a work surface. Place a portion of Great Midwest flavored Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese on each slice. Top with the remaining four slices, butter side up.
- Lightly butter and heat a griddle, heavy skillet or Panini press until hot. Place two sandwiches in the skillet. Brown slowly on one side for two to three minutes before turning with a spatula and grilling the other side until brown and the cheese melts. It may be necessary to add a bit of butter to the skillet.
- Repeat with remaining two sandwiches and serve immediately.
- Serving suggestions:
- Spread mayonnaise or mustard – if you prefer – on the unbuttered side of the bread.
- Add vertical slices of dill pickle, thinly sliced ripe, medium-sized tomatoes or red onion rings for an extra punch of flavor.
Gourmet Grilled Cheese with Peach Apricot Preserves
Tantalize your palate with the wide array of flavors in this delicious sandwich. Paprika, garlic, peach apricot preserves and flavor-infused Cheddar cheese all come together for one sumptuous offering. Interested in shaking it up? Swap out the peach-apricot preserve for another of your choice. Satiate your taste buds with a little extra pop of flavor by adding Great Midwest’s Apple Cinnamon Cheddar to your sandwich. Or, if you want a little spice, try Chipotle Cheddar.
- 2 slices Your favorite artisan bread
- 2 tablespoons Butter (melted)
- 2 ounces Midwest Cheddar cheese (sliced)
- 1 ounce Peach apricot preserves
- 2 slices tomatoes (thick)
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic (minced)
- Lemon juice
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, a splash of lemon juice and a dash of paprika. Set aside.
- Using a pastry brush, butter each slice of bread on one side, and place the slices, buttered side down, on the work surface. Top each of these slices with Cheddar cheese, tomatoes, arugula, the mayonnaise mixture and preserves. Top with the remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Lightly butter and heat a griddle, heavy skillet or Panini press until hot. Place the sandwich in the skillet. Brown slowly on one side for two to three minutes before turning with a spatula and grilling the other side until brown and the cheese melts. It may be necessary to add a bit of butter to the skillet. Serve immediately.
Across the nation adults are recognizing the versatility of this American classic and making their own unique grilled cheese sandwiches. What is yours? If you think you have a great idea for a grilled-cheese sandwich, visit greatmidwestcheese.com and enter the I Love Grilled Cheese contest. You could win a weekend getaway to the “Great Midwest” or other prizes that will help you reinvent the grilled cheese over and over again to the delight of your taste buds.
Source: (BPT) brandpointcontent.com