A tasty meal that is full of flavor and nutrition.
Chicken with Potatoes and Artichokes
Servings: 1 Preparation Time: 15 Minutes Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
- 3 small red or white potatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 4 frozen artichoke hearts (thawed)
- 1 large clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 pitted oil cured black olives (each cut in half)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into 2 inch pieces, about 1/3 pound)
- Parboil potatoes in salted water until tender; set aside. When cool, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. (You may want to double the potatoes for use in another recipe.) Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in saute pan over high heat. Add chicken pieces and brown well on all sides. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- To remaining oil in the pan, add onion and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes. Return chicken to onions in pan, add artichoke hearts, garlic, and stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and and cook over low heat until chicken and artichokes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add potatoes and heat through. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
nutritional information per serving: Calories: 645 Fat: 35 g Cholesterol: 100 mg Sodium: 878 mg Carbohydrates: 46 g Fiber: 4 g Protein: 34 g
With over a 150 potato recipes, nutrition information, trend updates and educational lesson plans, http://www.potatogoodness.com is the ultimate resource for families and culinary professionals alike.
photo. United States Potato Board
© Copyright 2000, Potato Board. All Rights Reserved
California Chicken (4-6 Servings)
3 lb. chicken, quartered
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup chili sauce
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. Molasses
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. garlic salt
2 Tbsp. chopped green peppers
3 medium oranges, peeled and separated into pieces
Arrange chicken in a slow cooker (crock pot). In a bowl mix juice, chili sauce, soy sauce, molasses, dry mustard, and garlic salt. Pour over chicken. Cover, cook on low for 8-10 hours. Stir in green peppers and oranges. Heat 30 minutes longer.