Satisfy your sweet tooth with this unique chocolate mousse, packed with flavor and some surprising healthy foods: avocado and Medjool dates. Avocado is high in fiber and heart-healthy omega-3 fats while Medjool dates have more fiber, calcium and potassium. Their natural sweetness combined with light and creamy coconut milk blends into the perfect healthy dessert.
Creamy Chocolate Date Mousse
Makes 4 servings. Per Serving: 288 calories, 11 g total fat (5 g saturated fat), 50 g carbohydrate, 2 g protein, 7 g fiber, 3 mg sodium. Prep Time: 15 minutes (+1 hour in fridge)
- 8-10 Medjool dates (pitted)
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk (canned + 1/4 cup water)
- 1 ripe avocado (peeled)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (melted)
- Chop the dates into small pieces.
- Add chopped dates, coconut milk, and water into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the avocado, melted chocolate chips, and cocoa powder. Blend again until creamy.
- Pour into four small ramekins or bowls.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 1-3 hours (or even overnight).
Optional: garnish with raspberries, chopped nuts or a sprinkle of Himalayan sea salt.
Sonja Goedkoop, MSPH, RD, is the lead registered dietitian at Zesty, Inc. She is passionate about helping others improve their health through diet and physical activity and believes eating nutritious food should be easy and taste great. You can follow her on Twitter @SonjaGoedkoopRD.
Photo. Sonja Goedkoop