This super simple salad features cool English cucumbers, fresh fennel and tangy Greek yogurt. Both cucumbers and fennel contain fiber and water which, by making you feel fuller faster, can help you get to and keep a healthy weight. Greek-style yogurt with a splash of apple cider vinegar makes a light creamy dressing with the perfect tinge of tartness.
Creamy Cucumber Fennel Salad
Makes 4 servings. Yield: about 3 cups. Per Serving: 44 calories, 0 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 7 g carbohydrate, 5 g protein, 1 g dietary fiber, 109 mg sodium.
- 1 container (5-6 oz. plain low-fat Greek yogurt)
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups thinly sliced English cucumber*
- 1 small or 1/2 large fennel bulb (cut into quarters, cored, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 cup))
- 3 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fennel fronds (divided)
- n medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Add cucumber, fennel and 2 tablespoons fronds and toss to coat.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish with remaining fennel fronds. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.
- * If using large English cucumbers, cut in half lengthwise before slicing.
Grocery List • Plain low-fat Greek yogurt • Apple cider vinegar • Salt or to taste • Freshly ground black pepper • English cucumber • Fennel bulb • Fennel fronds
Dori Mitchell, MS, RDN is AICR’s Coordinator for Nutrition Outreach.
Michael Kastre is an AICR Healthy Recipes developer.