Coleslaw is a staple side with BBQ and Tex-Mex style dishes. This citrus-based version combines the natural sweetness of orange juice, mango and apple with the heat of jalapeño pepper to help bring out the natural flavors of the veggies. Featuring colorful bell peppers, this slaw is rich in beta-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin C and contains a variety of phytochemicals that may help reduce your risk of cancer. Pair with fish tacos, grilled chicken or use as a flavorful topping in salads and wraps.
Makes 10 servings. Per serving: 45 calories, 2 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 2 mg sodium.
- 1 orange (juice yields only)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeded and minced)
- 1/2 mango (diced)
- 1 large red bell pepper (cut into thin strips)
- 1 large green bell pepper (cut into thin)
- 1 large yellow bell pepper (cut into thin strips)
- 1/2 apple (cut into thin strips)
- 1/3 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Purée first 3 ingredients in blender or food processor until dressing is smooth.
- Place peppers, jalapeño, mango, apple and cilantro in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to mix and coat well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until vegetables soften a little but remain crunchy, about 4 hours. Serve at room temperature.
Grocery List • Orange • Olive oil • Garlic • Jalapeño pepper • Mango • Red bell pepper • Green bell pepper • Yellow bell pepper • Apple • Cilantro • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sonja Goedkoop, MSPH, RD, is a registered dietitian at Zesty, Inc. She is passionate about helping others improve their health through diet and physical activity and believes eating nutritious food should be easy and taste great. You can follow her on twitter @SonjaGoedkoopRD. – See more at: http://blog.aicr.org