In June, summer is finally beginning to come. It is the perfect time of year to come home from a stressful day at work and take full advantage of the serene setting of your very own garden. An evening watching the sunset with a glass of wine or fresh lemonade surrounded by natural beauty is the perfect ending to any day and will leave you feeling fresh and revitalized.
If you don’t already have this idyllic garden waiting for you, now is the time to treat yourself.
Here’s some tips to get you started.
• Frequently mowing the lawn, weeding and watering your garden will keep it looking its best.
• As the herbaceous season starts again a nice choice may be geraniums in a variety of hues from blue to pink, lime green Alchemilla Mollis and the dainty Aquilegia. More structural and showy herbaceous plants can also be found such as Lupins, Peony and Delphiniums this is if they have escaped the appetite of the slugs!
• Make sure gaps between shrubs and perennials are filled with clumps of lilies, dahlias, gladioli and other summer-flowering bulbs.
• Forsythia and any other spring-flowering shrub should be pruned once the blooms have died back; cut out a third of the old stems right back to the ground, then lightly trim any straggly stem tips, but no more than half way into the new wood.
• Spring-flowering alpines should be trimmed back and remove dead foliage from spring-flowering bulbs.
• To help keep turf weeds and moss under control, the lawn should be raked occasionally before cutting. Do not cut lower than one inch as this will encourage moss to grow.
• Pots and hanging baskets can be planted up with summer bedding plants now that the last frost has gone. To provide nutrition during the dry summer months add a measure of water-retaining gel to the compost and some slow-release fertilizer granules.
Gardeneer provide professional gardening services in Wokingham, Berkshire & surrounding area. For more of our monthly tips along with other ideas visit us online. http://www.gardeneer.co.uk/index.htm
Photo Credit: Tom Curtis
Article Source: Articlesbase.com