There is a myriad of stretch mark creams and other products out in the market today, but not a lot of research has been done with the aim of proving if they actually work in preventing and/or treating stretch marks. Aside from the fact that they don’t guarantee results, stretch mark treatments can also be very expensive. This is why a lot of people have opted to use home remedies for stretch marks since they are not only economical, but also safe for use. Since they use natural ingredients, they don’t pose the risk of harmful side effects.
Be Healthy to Keep Stretch Marks at Bay
It is popular knowledge that having a well-balanced diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals will keep your skin healthy. It thus follows that the proper nutrition will help prevent stretch marks. This is because healthy foods contain antioxidants that do wonders for the overall health of your skin. You should also engage in regular exercise since this will help tone your muscles and maintain the firmness of your skin. Both of these tips will help you avoid excessive changes in weight in a short period of time and hence will lower your chances of having stretch marks.
Daily massages are also a good stretch mark treatment. A massage will increase circulation and promote skin renewal. Include massages in your daily routine. Rub natural oils on your problem areas right after you take a shower and before going to bed.
Some Home Remedies for Stretch Marks
1. Natural shea butter is a good source of vitamins A and E, which are both good for skin health. Rub shea butter on the areas with stretch marks several times a day to expedite the healing process.
2. Aloe Vera is known for its healing and soothing properties for burns. Some people claim that it does the same thing for stretch marks since these marks are also a form of skin injury. The following recipe utilize aloe vera and other natural ingredients in order to make a massage oil for the prevention and/or treatment of stretch marks:
– ¼ cup aloe vera gel
– ½ cup olive oil
– 2 capsules of vitamin A (use only the liquid inside)
– 4 capsules of vitamin E (use only the liquid inside)
– Using a blender, mix all the ingredients. Store the mixture in an airtight container overnight in the fridge. Apply the massage oil onto affected areas as needed.
3. Cocoa butter is a popular stretch mark treatment. However, it is most probably not that effective in penetrating deeply into the dermis (the middle layer of our skin.) But like other moisturizing ingredients, it is good for keeping the skin well-hydrated and soft at all times. The following recipe uses cocoa butter in order to make a stretch mark cream:
– ½ cup cocoa butter
– 1 teaspoon apricot kernel oil
– 2 teaspoons grated beeswax
– 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
– 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil
Combine all ingredients and heat them until the beeswax and cocoa butter melt. Allow it to cool then store in an airtight container. Massage the cream onto affected areas as needed.