Boils may be defined as localized infection of skin that gets initiated in a hair follicle or oil gland. In the early stages, the skin begins to turn red, becomes glistened, swell and a tender lump-like structure, less than an inch in size, develops. After 5-7 days, the summit of the lump turns white due to collection of pus. The pus is composed of infection-fighting white blood cells, proteins, bacteria and other debris. A mature boil comes to point or shows up a head which usually ruptures, allowing spontaneous drainage of the pus. All the stages of boil formation are accompanied by a throbbing pain. Fever, chills and swollen lymph nodes are the other symptoms of boil. When the infection extends to deeper tissues, an abscess develops. If several boils occur in a cluster, it is called carbuncle. Carbuncles require surgical removal.
Face, neck, armpits, shoulders, waist, thighs and buttocks are zones where boils usually develop. Boils on eyelids are called sty. It is formed when Staphylococcus bacteria entering through tiny breaks or cuts on skin, travel down to hair follicle and make it infected. Medical conditions like diabetes etc, poor immunity, poor hygiene, malnutrition, excess alcohol intake, constipation, unhealthy food habit, increased toxicity in the body, exposure to harsh chemicals make one susceptible to boils. At times lodging of a foreign body or splinter in the skin or an ingrown hair may trigger boil formation.
Home Remedies for Boils
1. Application of garlic extracts on boil could be quite helpful. It destroys germs and facilitates easy draining of pus. Also include 2-3 garlic seeds in diet for rewarding results.
2. Application of onion extracts on boil fetches the same results as that of garlic. It is also an effective boil cure.
3. Application of milk cream on boil softens it and helps in easy release of the pus.
4. Boil parsley leaves until they soften. Then wrap the leaves in a perforated cloth and place on boil. This opens up the mouth of boil and drains out the pus.
5. Boil 3-4 betel leaves in water until they soften. Coat the leaves with castor oil and place on boil. This enables healing by releasing the pus.
6. Put 15-20 margosa leaves in a basin containing half liter water and bring to a simmer until the contents reduce to one-third of the total. Allow it to cool and then use it as an anti-bacterial wash for the boil. This is highly beneficial in treating boils.
7. Roast turmeric powder and make a paste by mixing 4-5 tablespoons of turmeric powder with water. Apply the paste on boil. This ripens the boil quickly, thereby expediting the healing process.
8. Mix powdered cumin seeds with little water to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on boils. This weakens the severity of boils.
9. Apply bitter gourd extracts on boil. This destroys bacteria and reduces infection. This is improves and heals the boil.
10. Application of hot compresses on boil proves beneficial. It matures the boil fast, breaks it open and drains out the pus. This is a useful boil remedy.
Read more Home Remedies for Boils. Also know useful Home Remedies for Body Acne. Read effective Home Remedies for Common Cold.