As we get deeper into winter, it becomes more difficult to fill our shopping carts and dinner plates with fresh, in-season produce. During these months however, Florida Grapefruit reaches peak season, making it ripe for grocery aisle picking.
Florida Grapefruit supports our bodies with the essential nutrients and high amounts of vitamin C and vitamin A we crave in the winter. Harvested in subtropical growing conditions, the versatile super fruit adds a splash of sunshine to bland winter dishes.
Honey Fennel and Grapefruit Glazed Chicken
Prep time: 1 hr 30 minutes Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 Florida Grapefruits
- 1 whole fresh organic chicken
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Place chicken into a roasting pan and set aside.
- Toast fennel seeds and pepper in a small pan over high heat for two to three minutes until fragrant.
- Transfer to a mini food processor. Add salt and garlic powder and pulse until granular.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together spice mixture, 1/4 cup grapefruit juice and honey. Drizzle chicken with half the glaze, reserving the rest for basting.
- Slice second grapefruit into thin rounds and place on top and around chicken.
- Roast for 1.5 hours until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Re-glaze after 45 minutes.8. Serve with pan juices if desired and a side of roasted fennel.