I like to make my own homemade spaghetti sauce. Once I have it made, I will freeze or can it for future use. This particular sauce is great for spaghetti, lasagna, rigatoni, ravioli and manicotti.
Italian Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 6 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 (8 ounce) packages of pepperoni
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Italian tomato sauce
- 5 (29 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried onion
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
Brown the lean ground beef in a large frying pan, drain off burger grease. In a large stock pot, combine cooked beef, pepperoni, tomato paste, tomato sauce and tomato puree. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat. Turn heat down to simmer and stir in all of the spices. Simmer the sauce for 45 to 60 minutes to allow all of the spices to infuse into the sauce mixture.
How to can your spaghetti sauce:
Sterilize and clean your canning jars. (I prefer using quart-sized wide mouth jars). Ladle hot mixture into hot jars. Clean the rims of jars with a clean cotton towel. Seal jars and then process in a water bath canner for 30 minutes. Remove jars from canner and allow them to cool down in a non-drafty area of your kitchen.
Note: You can also freeze the spaghetti sauce in freezer safe airtight containers.
Shelly Hill http://wahmshelly.blogspot.com