The joy that a grandchild brings to the lives of grandparents is immense. However, there is a need to balance out the love and responsibility that comes with it.
Here are a few tips that will make bring you closer to your grandchildren. You do not have to change yourself; it involves only slight adjustments and a bit of space to bring things back on track.
- Although it is a virtue of the wise to guide, the youngsters, however, remember to give them the space to rise in a friendly environment. It will help garner a trust in you and your judgments.
- Maintaining a friendly association with the grandchildren is a good effort, however, try to avoid acting as friends with them. Every generation finds it easy with the people of their age.
- Do not demand respect, but live with your head held high and command respect. Never compromise self-respect. Rest will follow in time.
- Spend quality time with them. Gifts will not stay for long, but your time matters. Share their passions and dreams.
- One should not try to replace their parents. Children never accept such ideas. These actions turn them off and though verbally they may not express but your presence will make them cringe.
- While you teach them, do not force your opinions, instead use indirect ways such as sharing events and memories from the past. Force makes people repulsive so never impose your thoughts.
- In case, you are in a long distance relationship remembering to keep in touch more often. Technology has made things easier try the way through the internet (you can definitely do it) or sending colorful snail mails that make them inquisitive and eager about your next mail. In the case, you make a call never stretch your calls; moderation keeps things light and hearty.
- Do not scold your children or talk in raised voices in front of your grandchildren for they may use you as a bait to get even with parents. When they see you giving freedom to your children the grandchildren will automatically find a wavelength with you.
- Do not change but accept changes that bring progress thus making things easy for all generations. Keep yourself engaged so you do not seem a dependent being but an individual with tastes and hobbies.
- If you raise your children with values that transfer automatically to next-generation your relationship with them will be a fruitful, happy, and worthy one.
Love and respect yourself. Relationships do not work if either side dominates or constantly bends instead it works best when we take a balanced approach towards life.
Like my articles here. Do visit my blog for more on life and relationships. https://pushpsr.blogspot.com/
Photo. Ben Schonewille
Article Source: EzineArticles.com