Fire up the barbecue…for breakfast?
Most of us centre our calendars around the summer months — it’s the time of year we get to enjoy basking in the sunshine and exploring the great outdoors. And when it’s camping, cottage and festival season, who wants to be stuck in the kitchen?
Cooking on the grill, outdoor stove or over a roaring campfire is the perfect way to spend time with friends and family while enjoying delicious dishes. So why not heat up your next summer soiree or weekend brunch with these on-trend and spicy Mexican chorizo breakfast tacos?
Mexican Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Makes: 12 tacos
- 250 g mild / spicy chorizo sausage (sliced and casing removed)
- 3/4 cup finely diced onion
- 500 mL carton Burnbrae Farms' Egg Creations Whole Eggs Veggie and Feta
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 12 6- inch corn / wheat tortillas
- 2 cups diced tomato
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (divided)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- Optional: For a healthier alternative (replace corn tortillas with lettuce leaves.)
- Cook chorizo, onions and Egg Creations in a large cast-iron pan on the grill at 375⁰F, mixing in cumin and paprika, until eggs are set. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Wrap tortillas in tinfoil and place over an indirect heat or grill until warm.
- To make tomato salsa, mix onions with tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and 2 tsp vegetable oil, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Divide chorizo mixture among warm tortillas, then garnish with tomato salsa and avocado slices.
Tip: Egg Creations make for the perfect camping trip essential because you can freeze the carton and use it as an icepack in your cooler.
Find more delicious recipes at www.burnbraefarms.com.
Source: (NC) www.newscanada.com