Leaves are falling, there is a chill in air, and the holidays are fast approaching. This is the time of the year when the warmth and comfort of some of the seasonal, flavored espresso drinks come back into popularity. This Pumpkin Pie Latte recipe is for your espresso coffee makers at home and will not only warm the body and exhilarate the taste buds, it will also get one back in the holiday spirit.
This latte is very festive with several additional ingredients which are provided below.
The basic ingredients for a Pumpkin Pie Latte in a 12 oz wide mouth cup are:
1) Two shots (ounces) of extracted espresso, adjust the amount of espresso to your personal preference.
2) Six – eight ounces of milk, I prefer 2% low fat but non–fat and whole milk work fine as well.
3) Two tablespoons of canned pumpkin puree.
4) One – two teaspoons of light or dark brown sugar.
5) One quarter of a teaspoon of pumpkin spice.
6) One teaspoon of vanilla extract.
7) Whipped cream.
The basic directions are as follows:
1) Pour milk of your choice into frothing pitcher, preferably stainless steel with a thermometer.
2) Add pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, and vanilla to the milk and wisk gently until pumpkin is well blended.
3) Heat or froth milk to desired temperature (140-150 degrees). Do not exceed 150 degrees as this tends to break down the flavors in the drink.
4) Extract the two shots of espresso (or desired amount) directly into a pre-heated cup.
5) Pour the milk and pumpkin mixture into the cup and add a whipped cream topping and then sprinkle with nutmeg. The nutmeg should be used sparingly but is highly recommended as it seems to leave the pallet with a clean and crisp feeling without a sweet after taste.
Note : This recipe can be made with a drip coffee and is often presented that way. It is recommended to make the coffee as strong as possible so that the other ingredients are not overbearing and that the coffee is not lost in the mix. That being said, and it is only personal taste but a solid shot or two of espresso along with these ingredients is the only way to go.