Get the details about Saw palmetto’s side effects & benefits. Saw palmetto is a small palm which generally reaches a height of around 3 to 6 ft. Generally it grows in the Southeast United States. The berries of this plant are used to make the capsule form of saw palmetto. Saw palmetto is a very useful for the human health. Benefit of the Saw palmetto includes treatment for persistent coughs, as well as relief from BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia). Saw Palmetto assists with treating the side effects of BPH, such as frequent urination, blocked exit of the urine from the bladder, and several other uncomfortable symptoms.
Saw Palmetto Benefits
- Saw palmetto has been shown to affect the levels of cancer promoting hormones and this may lead to protection against prostate cancer, research into this is ongoing.
- Studies have indicated that saw palmetto also boosts the immune system’s ability to kill bacteria and can be used in the treatment of urinary tract infections.
- The herb saw palmetto is also used as a general anti-inflammatory agent.
- Taking a saw palmetto supplement can help women with menstrual problems.
- Saw palmetto benefits for women also include breast enlargement and the treatment of uterine irritability.
- Saw palmetto can also be used as an appetite stimulant and a diuretic.
- Some people taking a saw palmetto supplement have stated that the benefits of saw palmetto also include aphrodisiac properties.
- Because saw palmetto has an effect on both male and female sex hormones it can be used to treat excessive growth of body and facial hair in women and polycystic ovaries.
Saw Palmetto Side Effects
The Most common side effects of saw palmetto include stomach pain, vomiting, nausea, bad breath, diarrhea or constipation. The stomach problems can be alleviated by taking saw palmetto with food. Less common but worse side effects include stomach ulcer, liver damage and jaundice (yellowing of skin), but the actual role of saw palmetto in these cases remain unclear. There have also been invalidated reports of insomnia, depression, headache, muscle pain, chest pains, high blood pressure, heart problems and breathing difficulties.