What could be better than walking into your kitchen to a pot full of delicious Soup, Stew, or Chili? The fact that it has been simmering for hours in your slow cooker or crockpot! Try this classic French Onion Soup, Italian Sausage Vegetable Stew or a Pork With Beans Chili Verde. All are delicious and easy!
A Classic – French Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 large yellow onions (sliced)
- 1 cup dry white cooking wine
- 3 can (approx. 14-oz each beef (or chicken) broth)
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 thick slices French bread (toasted)
- 4 oz shredded Swiss cheese
- Fresh thyme or parsley for garnish (if desired)
- In a large skillet, over high heat, melt the butter; add the onions and cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned. Stir in the wine.
- In a slow cooker or crockpot, combine the onion mixture from the skillet with the broth, thyme, salt, and Worcestershire sauce. Place lid on cooker and cook for 4 to 5 hours on low setting.
- To serve, ladle the soup into individual serving bowls, top with one of the toasted bread slices and the cheese. Garnish with the thyme or parsley, if desired.
Italian Sausage and Vegetable Stew
- 1 lb Italian sausage (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1 pkg (16-oz frozen vegetable mix of onion, and colorful bell peppers)
- 1 can (14.5-oz diced Italian-style tomatoes)
- 2 medium zucchini (sliced)
- 1 jar (4.5-oz sliced mushrooms, drained)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp basil
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet; drain.
- Add the sausage to a slow cooker or crockpot along with the frozen vegetables, tomatoes with the juice, zucchini, mushrooms, and garlic. Place lid on cooker and cook on low setting for around 4 hours until zucchini is tender.
- Stir the basil into the tomato paste; stir mixture into the other ingredients in the cooker. Replace the lid and cook another 30 to 45 minutes until the juices have thickened.
- Yield: 6 cups
- Note: Goes great with Italian or Garlic Bread.
Pork with Bean Chili Verde
- 3/4 to 1 lb boneless lean pork (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 can (15-oz Great Northern Beans)
- 1 large onion (halved lengthwise and thinly sliced)
- 6 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 lb tomatillos (coarsely chopped)
- 1 can (14 to 15-oz chicken broth)
- 1 can (4-oz diced mild green chilies)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Sour cream for serving
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until browned on all sides.
- In a slow cooker or crockpot combine the cooked pork with the beans, onion, garlic, tomatillos, chicken broth, green chilies, and ground cumin; place lid on cooker and cook for 3 to 4 hours on high. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Gently press the meat against the side of the cooker with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to shred. Reduce the heat of the cooker to low. Stir the cilantro into the cooker and cook for 10 minutes on low.
- Serve with the sour cream.
- Yield: 4 servings.
As a busy wife, mother, and grandmother I use my slow cooker often. I know many of you do, too, so I enjoy sharing my recipes with you at http://grandmasslowcookerrecipes.blogspot.com I am also a diabetic and share my diabetic recipes at http://diabeticenjoyingfood.blogspot.com