Nutritious pet food can be expensive, but it’s a lot more affordable when you make it yourself. The staff at Harrowsmith magazine have put together an easy recipe for extremely low-carb dog biscuits.
It’s been a resounding success with each of the 10 dogs who sampled them — even the two with sensitive stomachs. Every ingredient packs a nutritional punch.
No-Fail Dog Biscuits
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 to 22 minutes
Makes: 20 biscuits
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sunflower seed butter
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) canned pumpkin
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground flaxseeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground turmeric
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried parsley flakes
- In medium mixing bowl, mix sunflower seed butter, pumpkin, coconut oil and egg. Add chickpea flour, flaxseeds, turmeric and parsley flakes, and mix until combined.
- Dust dough (which will be sticky) and your hands as needed with chickpea flour. Scoop out dough about ½ tsp (2 mL) at a time, roll into balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Note that biscuits won’t spread and can be placed close together. Press down on each ball to make fingerprint in centre (dip your finger in water to prevent sticking).
- Bake in 350°F (190° C) oven for 12 minutes for soft biscuits, or 22 minutes for crunchier biscuits. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet. Store in an airtight container in fridge for up to two weeks.
Get more pet-friendly tips at harrowsmithmag.com.