Like them or not, raw onions are beneficial to health, as they contain flavanoids and polyphenols–one of the largest categories of phytonutrients in food. Do you know that we need to consume one big raw onion per day, in order to keep some types of cancer at bay; that would include colorectal, laryngeal and ovarian cancer? In addition, the sulphur compounds in them provide protection for the heart and blood vessels from a fatal heart attack!
From dull hair to age spots and scaly skin, can onions be a Beauty Product? Far from being surprised, I would not hesitate to consider the humble onion… is making its way as one. Why? It is for this reason that it has a lot more of its goodness to offer, than flavouring your soup or curry! Being naturally acidic, you can use them to your advantage in making yourself more attractive… if you were interested and willing to learn how.
Here are some Tips to show you how:
- For hair that shines – Use them in hair masks as the acidity will close the hair follicles, making your hair look shiny.
- Use them as a hair conditioner – Grind a big onion and use it with equal portion of coconut or olive oil to make a hair rinse. Then leave it on for two hours before washing it off with a shampoo. It will make a glossy conditioner for your crowning glory.
- Counteract hair thinning by using onion & honey – Mix a big raw one grated, with two tablespoon of honey and rub it on your scalp. Leave the mixture overnight, wrapping your head with a towel. Do it twice a week. Ugh! It sounds ridiculous, right? What with the odour and the discomfort that can put you off? But it can help if you were to do it for a few hours in the day, even though you can’t do it overnight.
- Taking the sting out of bites – Surprisingly, it does just that! You have to cut a raw big onion into halves. Then rub one half of it on the affected part of the skin with an insect bite. It contains a compound known as quercetin, that inhibits the enzymes which are involved in allergy–thus reducing the effects of insect bites and nettle stings.
- Reduces pigmentation and dark spots – Peels that contain an onion extract will increase cell turnover. Just mix equal of its juice with fresh yoghurt, then massage on to your face and hands for fifteen minutes. Do it on a daily basis to see results appear. It may take some time, but be patient.
- Reduces skin scarring – It can help in healing scars of surgery, so will it help with skin care? Try making a mask with two tablespoon of flour, one and a half tablespoon of onion juice, a teaspoon of milk and a pinch of nutmeg if available. Make them into a paste and apply on the skin for twenty minutes. Remove by dabbing with some milk.
- Remove rough patches on your elbows with an infusion of its peels – Drop an ample amount of the onion peels into a mug of hot water, but not boiling water! Next, dip your elbow in the mug and slosh it around for a few minutes. Repeat this with the other elbow, alternating. For any good effect, you must do it daily.
Now, who says that onion cannot be used as a Beauty Product? Test it, try it and see, if it works for you! As for me, I am in the process of doing it myself and am anxiously waiting to see the results. Check it out, will you?