Looking for a quick dinner? Try making a pot of chili and serve with some cabbage cheese bread. This meal is quite filling with one bowl! You may have leftovers that you can either freeze for another day, or serve for lunch.
Homemade Kidney Bean Chili
- 3 cans 798ml / 280z of red kidney beans ( rinsed and drained)
- 1 can 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups about 1 lb. cooked ground beef (add more if you want it meatier)
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red pepper diced
- 2 cans 680ml/ 22.67 oz of tomato pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped onion optional
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Hot sauce optional to taste
In a large pot, cook up the onion, peppers and garlic until the onions is clear. Add the spices, tomatoes and beans. In a separate pan cook the ground beef, then strain out the fat, add the beef into the pot with the beans.
Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes (stir occasionally) then simmer for another 20 min.
Cabbage Cheese Bread
- Slices of whole wheat bread however many you need
- Green olives for topping sliced
- Ranch dressing mine was homemade, here's the recipe or store bought is fine too
- Coleslaw I used store bought but rinsed it off to remove oils, homemade is fine too or finely shredded plain cabbage
- Shredded cheese I used a mix of shredded mozzarella cheese and marble cheese
Butter the breads with ranch dressing then add a layer of the coleslaw, and cheese. Top with olive slices.
Bake in the oven at 375οF. for 10 minutes or the cheese is melted. Remove from oven, allow to cool for a minute or so then cut toasts in half.
Serve with a bowl of chili.
Pioneerthinking.com – Ingredients for a Simple Life.