We all depend on our clothes dryers to see that our clothes are ready to wear. After all, just having damp, clean clothing is not enough—it needs to be dried. Of course, that can be most easily attained by simply placing your clothing in the dryer. However, having a dryer that works effectively and efficiently is not something to be taken for granted. It doesn’t just happen. Rather, it is accomplished by taking care with your dryer and the dryer vents so that you can be sure of a properly working dryer.
Your dryer is a carefully designed machine that requires some basic knowledge to be used for many years successfully. So, what proactive measures should you take? Here are tips for dryer vent cleaning that will result in successful usage.
- Check the lint trap in your dryer after each use, and clean it out.
- Pull your dryer away from the wall.
- Check the flexible air duct hose from the back of the dryer and clean out any visible lint.
- You can clean out the dryer vent even more, by inserting a wet/dry vacuum wand as far into the duct as you can. If you do not have a wet-dry vac, you could also use a leaf blower at the open end. Another option is to use a straightened out coat hanger, with a dust cloth attached to the hook end.
- Repeat the blowing/dusting process on both ends of the dryer ductwork.
- Check the dryer’s vent cap where the dryer blows outside the house. It can be blocked with lint, bits of debris and even bird’s nest.
- Be sure that your dryer vents are independent of all other systems and end outside, not into a chimney or crawl space.
- Your outside dryer exhaust vent should be equipped with a back draft damper to be certain the exhaust cannot come back into your home.
- Metal transition ducts should be used between the dryer and the exhaust duct; however, flexible transition ducts should never be used in an attic, a crawl space, or inside a wall.
- Though not related to the dryer’s efficiency, if you have a flex foil dryer vent tube, then you need to replace this with a metal one. The flex tube can get too warm and will result in a home fire!
Dryer vent cleaning and proper maintenance will go a long way to successful dryer usage for many years. The pros at Dryer Vent Wizard are well versed in what it takes to keep your dryer working in prime condition. Don’t hesitate to call someone if you are uncertain if your dryer vent is working properly.
Many websites provide additional information on the topic of dryer vent cleaning. One such site worth visiting is Dryer Vent Wizard.
Janet Slagell independently authors articles for WebDrafter.com, Inc. for search engine marketing.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those solely of the author, and not of any other person, company or organization. No guarantee or warranty, express or implied, is made regarding the accuracy, fitness, or use of the content herein.
Article Source: Articlesbase.com