When it comes to making the perfect pickled eggs and red beets, it’s all about how you prepare them.
My family has been making this particular recipe for 20 years, it’s perfect for summer picnics and family gatherings. Unlike other recipes, this one requires you to ‘cook’ your beet juice for a total of 10 minutes. This helps to infuse the flavors. You can add or decrease the sugar content according to your own taste.
1. Boil your eggs for 10 minutes on a slow simmer. Remove from heat, drain hot water. Fill pan with cool tap water. Let your eggs sit in the water, for 30 minutes.
2. The smaller and fresher your eggs, the harder it will be to peel them. Let them cool completely, before removing the shells.
6-8 hard boiled eggs, shells peeled off
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 can of sliced beets with juice
2 cups of water
1 tsp. salt (optional)
In a large sauce pan combine the water, granulated sugar, vinegar, salt and the beet juice (reserve the beets); bring to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes , turn down to low. Add in the sliced beets, continue cooking on low for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Let mixture cool for 10 minutes. Pour into your container. Add in your hard boiled eggs, seal container and place into your refrigerator for 6-8 hours before serving.
1. Purchasing: Only buy fresh eggs that have been refrigerated. Always check the expiration date on your cartons.
2. To test for freshness: Fill a bowl with water and 1 teaspoon of salt. If it floats, toss it. If it sinks, keep it.
3. After Boiling: After you have boiled eggs in their shell, cool and return to the refrigerator. They should never be left out in room temperature, for longer than 30 minutes.
Shelly Hill has been working from home since 1989 in Direct Sales. You can visit Shelly online at: http://www.classybusinesswomen.com or at http://wahmshelly.blogspot.com
Article Source: Articlebase.com