Meal prep this healthy, delicious combination based on white beans, carrots, cauliflower, sorghum, pistachios, kale, and Mediterranean herbs. In about 45 minutes, you can put together 4 plant-based, gluten-free entrée salads for a week of healthy eating.
Mediterranean White Bean and Sorghum Salad
Makes 4 meals. Nutrition information per meal: 410 calories, 12 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat), 68 g carbohydrate, 17 g protein, 13 g fiber, 110 mg sodium.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum (uncooked)
Roasted Vegetables and White Beans:
- 2 medium carrots (sliced)
- 1 small green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 small red onion (sliced)
- 1 15.5 oz. can white beans (rinsed, drained)
- 1 small head cauliflower (separated into small florets)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp.extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Sea salt (as desired, optional)
- 4 cups baby kale
- 1/2 lemon (sliced into 4 wedges)
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add sorghum, cover, and simmer over medium for about 45 minutes, until just tender. Remove from burner. Drain any remaining liquid.
- While sorghum is cooking, prepare roasted vegetables and white beans.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- On a baking sheet, arrange a thin layer in vertical sections of: carrots slices, green bell pepper slices, red onion slices, white beans, and cauliflower florets.
- Drizzle oil and lemon juice evenly over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the vegetables evenly with: oregano, garlic powder, parsley, rosemary, black pepper, and sea salt (if desired).
- Mix the seasonings into the vegetables with tongs (or your hands) to distribute well.
- Place on top rack of the oven and roast for about 30 minutes, until golden brown and tender. Remove from the oven.
- Prepare each salad: In each of four glass rectangular containers, arrange kale, and top with one-fourth of the cooked sorghum and one-fourth of the roasted vegetables and white beans. Garnish with roasted pistachios. Add a lemon wedge. Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- To serve, squeeze lemon wedge over salad and enjoy!
Sharon Palmer, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian™, is an award-winning food and nutrition expert, journalist, and editor. She is author of The Plant-Powered Diet: The Lifelong Eating Plan for Achieving Health, Beginning Today (The Experiment, 2012) and Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your Way to Lasting Health with 52 Simple Steps & 125 Delicious Recipes(The Experiment, 2014). She blogs daily at The Plant-Powered Dietitian, and publishes her monthly The Plant-Powered Newsletter. Living in the chaparral hills overlooking Los Angeles with her husband and two sons, Sharon enjoys visiting her local farmers market, gardening, and cooking for friends and family.