If you’re looking for an afternoon pick-me-up, skip the junk food and reach for one of these tasty, easy-to-make, calorie-reduced bites.
Packed with flavorful ingredients like oats, raisins and vanilla, these goodies keep your mouth happy and your stomach satisfied. Lightly sweetened with naturally-sourced stevia, each serving of peanut butter granola bites contains 6 grams of protein and only 170 calories, making this a perfectly sensible snack.
Peanut Butter Granola Bites
Makes 15 servings
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups (500 ml) cornflakes
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked quick oats
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) egg whites
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chunky peanut butter*
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) Pure Via Granulated sweetener
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar free syrup
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Combine cornflakes, oats and raisins in a large mixing bowl.
3. Combine egg whites and peanut butter in another mixing bowl. Stir in the sweetener, syrup, vanilla and cinnamon until blended. Pour peanut butter mixture over cereal mixture. Mix gently until well combined. Let stand 5 minutes.
4. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and cool completely on wire rack. Store in covered container at room temperature.
*For a peanut butter alternative, substitute 1/2 cup (125 ml) almond butter. Stir in 4 tsp (20 ml) all-purpose flour into the combined cereal and peanut butter mixture before letting it stand.
Nutritional information per serving (2 bites)
Total fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 42 mg
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Protein 6 g
Additional calorie-conscious recipes are available at www.purevia.ca.
Note that stevia, the sweetener in Pure Via, is also known as steviol glycosides.
Article Source: (NC) www.newscanada.com