A healthy dish you can prepare in a breeze. Frozen versions of your favorite veggies cut down on prep time and thanks to flash-freezing technology, contain the same nutrients as their fresh counterparts. Beans add protein and extra fiber. Serve up with some warm, crusty bread for a quick and wholesome meal.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can no salt added back, Great Northern, or navy beans
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ cup frozen tri-colored bell peppers
- 2 tsp. dried oregano or thyme
- Pinch of dried red pepper flakes
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets
- Salt, to taste
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth and bring liquid to boil. Add lima beans, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes.
- Add canned beans, mixed vegetables, peppers, oregano and pepper flakes and simmer, covered for 5 minutes. Add broccoli, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. This soups keeps covered in refrigerator for 3 days. Reheat in covered pot over medium heat.
- To serve, divide soup among deep bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, or pass it separately at table.
Makes 4 servings.
Per 1 2/3cup Serving: 220 calories, 5 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat), 30 g carbohydrate, 9 g dietary fiber, 11 g protein, 350 mg sodium.