Just reading the title may have already made your mouth pucker and or water. Lemons, believe it or not, have many benefits – some may have never even thought of before! Below are some reasons why you may be grabbing a bag of lemons the next time you are at the grocery store.
10 Reasons You Should Love Lemons
1. Lightens age spots – apply lemon with a cloth or cotton ball and let set 15 minutes. Rinse.
2. Cotton t-shirts discolored? Pour 1 cup of lemon juice into wash cycle. For those really stuck on stains, mix equal parts water and lemon juice, apply to stain, and scrub. Wash as normal.
3. Prevent the cut avocado brown look – splash lemon over cut avocado
4. Rice a big glob after it’s cooked? Put 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in water while cooking to prevent the mushy mess
5. Get rid of tarnish on stainless steel, metal sinks, brass, and copper – mix lemon juice and baking soda. Coat area and let set 5 minutes. Wash clean.
6. Want blonde hair? Mix 1/4 c. lemon juice with 3/4 c. water. Apply to hair with spray bottle, sit in the sun, and watch the magic happen.
7. Freshen your breath – swish straight lemon in mouth and rinse.
8. Natural detox! Warm water in a cup and squeeze a 1/4 – 1/2 lemon in water. Enjoy!
9. Lemon water aids digestion, is a great source for vitamin C, hydrates, and helps the kidneys flush out any toxins!
10. Potatoes turn brown when cooking? Put 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in water.
Drinking lemon water is a new craze! Instead of buying those pre-made lemonade packets, consider buying whole lemons, slicing them, and sticking them in a jug of water for all-natural lemonade. If you are looking for the sweetness, I suppose you could add a little sugar.
I used to drink warm lemon water every morning and I must say, I felt GREAT! I have since stopped that habit, but I would like to get back into it. There are so many health benefits that I have a hard time passing up. With the first sip, you may want to give up and think I am crazy. It is a little sour to say the least. If warm water is too much, just drink it in cold water – you still get many of the benefits!
Now off to the grocery store to buy those lemons!
Photo Credit: Voraorn