Is everyone at your house tired of plain old pasta? This recipe will definitely turn things around. It’s quick and easy to prepare, and the creamy avocado pesto has the perfect balance of rich, tangy and aromatic flavors.
Healthy and versatile, it can be served as a stand-alone vegetarian dish or as an accompaniment to your favourite meat or poultry. And it’ll be on your table in no time.
Creamy Avocado Pesto Pasta
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
- 450 g (1 lb) spaghetti, cooked al dente
- 2 avocados from Mexico, halved, peeled and pitted
- 250 mL (1 cup) basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 125 mL (½ cup) walnuts, toasted
- 250 g (1 cup) grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 170 mL (11 tbsp) olive oil, divided
- 450 g (1 lb) sliced mushrooms
- 2 shallots, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Using a food processor or blender, purée avocados with basil, garlic, walnuts, 250 mL Parmesan, lemon juice and zest, and 125 mL olive oil. Add water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a sautéing pan, heat 45 mL oil and sauté mushrooms with shallots until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Mix spaghetti with creamy avocado pesto and garnish with sautéed mushrooms and grated Parmesan.