Enjoy this Wild Alaska Rockfish with Golden Cauliflower Steaks for a flavorful and creative presentation. The turmeric topping on the cauliflower contains curcuminoids which provide a warm, golden color. One of these compounds, curcumin, is studied for its role in cancer prevention. Cauliflower also boasts cancer-protective compounds called indoles and isothiocyanates. Mix up your healthy fish menu with this unique, delicious recipe.
Wild Alaska Rockfish with Cauliflower Steaks, Turmeric and Curry Butter
- Olive oil spray
- 1 large (at least 3 lbs.) or 2 small heads cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds, coarsely crushed with a rolling pin or mortar
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- 1 lemon for 1 tsp. zest and 1 Tbsp. juice
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus 1-2 tsps. for coating foil lining
- 4 (6-ounce) Alaska rockfish fillets
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 scallions, finely sliced, including some of the green part (for garnish)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 390 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 13 g carbohydrate, 36 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 560 mg sodium.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Spray or brush a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil.
- Slice cauliflower into steaks: Remove all outer leaves from cauliflower and stand it upright on a cutting board (trim the bottom of stem as needed to keep cauliflower stable). With a large knife, cut it into 3/4-inch thick slices. You will have some “scraps”—slices or florets of cauliflower – not attached to the core that fall apart, but you should get at least 4 slices that are intact.
- Roast cauliflower: Brush both side of steaks with oil, and toss “scraps” with a little oil. Arrange on the baking sheet, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, followed by turmeric and coriander. Squeeze lemon wedges over top. Roast 25 to 30 minutes, until golden and tender when knife tip is inserted into steak. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Lower oven temperature to 400ºF.
- Make lemon-curry butter while cauliflower bakes: Zest lemon and squeeze juice. In food processor, process lemon zest and juice, butter, ginger, curry powder, salt and black pepper until combined. Scrape down the bowl once or twice as needed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cook fish: Line baking sheet with foil and lightly brush with 1- 2 teaspoons olive oil. Set fillets on baking sheet. Brush with remaining olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Bake at 400ºF for 6 to 8 minutes, or until fish is cooked through and opaque. Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil, and let fish rest for 5 minutes.
- To serve: Cauliflower can be served warm or room temperature; return to oven for a few minutes to rewarm, if desired. Transfer cauliflower to large platter. Set fillets on top and dot each with curry butter. Sprinkle with chopped scallions and parsley and serve.
Source: (AICR) aicr.org