If you’re considering some type of marketing plan involving candle sales consider the following:
1. The Candle industry is growing; more so because of our society’s stressful lives and everyone’s quest for relief.
2. Candles are used in 7 out of 10 U.S. households. The majority of consumers also burn candles between 1-3 times per week, with half of these consumers burning 1-2 candles at a time.
3. Candle industry research findings indicate that the most important factor affecting candle sales is Fragrance, with Color and Shape taking a distant second, in the consumer selection of a candle for the home.
4. Overall candle sales are growing faster than the United States economy as a whole. The past few years have seen remarkable growth and strength in the candle industry as a whole.
5. The U.S. market is typically separated into seasonal business at roughly 35%, and Non-seasonal 65% of the annual market.
6. Consumers say they typically burn candles for just under 3 hours. 9 out of 10 candle users say they use candles to make a room feel comfortable and cozy.
7. Candle users say they most frequently burn candles in the living room (42%), by the kitchen (18%), and the bedroom (13%).
8. Candle purchasers view candles as an appropriate gift for the holidays (76%), house-warming gifts (74%), a hostess/dinner party gift (66%) a thank you gift (61%), adult birthday gift (58%).
9. US retail sales of candles are estimated at approximately $2 billion annually, excluding the sales of candle accessories.
10. There are more than 350 commercial, religious and institutional manufacturers of candles in the United States, as well as scores of small craft producers for local, non-commercial use.
11. Candles are sold principally in three types of retail outlets: department stores, specialty shops, and mass merchants, including drug store chains, supermarkets, and discount stores.
12. Candle manufacturers’ surveys show that 96% of all candles purchased are bought by women. Two thirds of candle purchasers say they use candles once a week or more often. Women are more frequent users than men, and younger people tend to use candles more often than older adults.
Photo. Valeria Boltneva