If you have a Sulfite Allergy then you suffer from Allergies Type 1, also called Contact Allergies. Sulfites have been used for centuries as a preservative for drinks, foods and medication. They preserve the color and flavor and increase the shelf life by inhibiting bacterial growth. About 1 percent of the populations are allergic to sulfites. Sulfite allergy reactions tend to manifest in respiratory symptoms.
Prior to seeing any allergy specialist for testing you will need to stop taking any anti-allergy medication or over the counter antihistamines 2 to 3 days before the test are to be performed. Talk to the allergy specialist if you are unsure about any medications that need to be stopped and for how long.
Patients allergic to sulfite rarely show a positive allergic response to skin testing. The most reliable way to test for this allergy is commonly called The Food Challenge. You are told to avoid all sulfite-containing foods for several weeks.
Avoidance can be very difficult because sulfite is often hidden in other foods. Read the labels of every food that you bring into your home. Because the manufacturing processes change continuously re-read the labels each time you purchase a product. On January 1, 2006 a new law was passed stating that all labels should be designed in such a way that a 7-year-old child could read and understand the ingredients.
The doctor will then have you take pills containing sulfite under close supervision. If symptoms appear after ingesting the sulfites then you are allergic to sulfites and will need to avoid anything that has it on the label.
The USFDA requires the labeling of foods containing 10 ppm or more of sulfites and in 1986 the FDA banned the use of sulfites on fruits and vegetables that are eaten raw.
A growing awareness about food allergies is becoming well known in the United States. Food manufactures and restaurants are becoming more understanding and willing to accommodate people living with food allergies.
Living with any food allergy is no longer a major undertaking; it is now just a minor adjustment to your life-style. You will need to avoid baked goods, Soups, jams, canned vegetables, pickles, potato chips, dried fruit, trail mix, most condiments, shrimp, guacamole and anything that has sulfite, sodium bisulfite, sodium metabisulfite, potassium bisulfite and potassium metabisulfite on the label.
Some of the common vitamins used to treat sulfite allergy symptoms are Vitamins C, Quercetin, and Bromelain.
Vitamin C is nature’s protective nutrient, essential for defending the body against pollution and infection and enhances the bodies immune system. Take 1,000 to 5,000 mg daily.
Quercitin is a well known flavonoid. Flavonoids are powerful antioxidants and can reduce inflammation boost the immune system and strengthen blood vessels and improve circulation. Quercitin is also known for its ability to block the release of histamines, thus reducing or preventing allergy symptoms. Take 500 mg twice daily.
Bromellain will enhance the absorption of Quercetin. Take 100 mg twice daily.
Always consult your doctor before using this information.
This Article is nutritional in nature and is not to be construed as medical advice.
David Cowley has created numerous articles on allergies. He has also created a Web Site dedicated to allergies and how to treat them. Click on Allergy Treatment – http://www.allergies-team.com
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com
Article POsted: April 26, 2012