For a protein kick, try a simple and delicious after-school snack of hummus and colorful veggies. Prepare the hummus and cut the vegetables the night before for a quick and healthy afternoon snack that won’t spoil dinner appetites.
Peanut Butter Hummus
Prep time: 5 minutes
Makes 2 cups (500 mL)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (19 oz/540 mL)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) hot water
- ¼ cup (60 mL) peanut butter
- ¼ cup (60 mL) lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
Veggies such as carrots, celery, cucumber and red peppers, or crackers
Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Whirl until smooth. Serve with veggies and crackers.
Tip: If a thinner hummus is preferred, add additional water or lemon juice to taste.
More great recipes can be found at Peanutbureau.ca.